Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Friendly Experiment


I live in a large apartment building (say, 200 units or so). Granted, this is my first time living in a building like this, but I think it's the DC metro area that makes it ok for people to ignore others that they pass on a daily basis.

A couple of weeks ago, I realized how much easier it is to be friendly to a person. Rather than divert the eyes or pretend to look elsewhere as you pass. Couple this with the fact that we've had thirteen (13!) burglaries in our building in the last couple of months. I feel like this is the perfect time to come together and start acting neighborly.

So what is the experiment? I'm going to start off small - small quarters: The elevator. No awkward conversations in the elevator. Just eye contact and a smile as they get on. Often I'm the first person off (don't fault me for taking the elevator to the fourth floor!) so, I will casually say good night/morning/have a nice day as I leave the elevator.

I've been doing this for about two weeks now. Most responses have been similar: a somewhat surprised sounding, "Good night" or whatever time of day it is. In addition, the smiles have been returned.

Up until last night.


Meet grumpy woman. The woman on the elevator was probably younger, but I like this picture anyway. I had just gotten on the elevator with my milk purchase. It's early evening, and I see her coming towards the elevator, so I hold it for her. No thanks, nothing. She hits 7, I've already hit 4. Long story short, I say good night as I excuse myself from behind her... Nothing. I guess that's why her face is in a permanent frown. Or maybe she was a Ravens fan offended by my Steelers t-shirt. Either way, if that perma-frown sticks, she'll grow up to look like that lady above. Sucks for her.

In general, the friendly experiment is going well. I just hope that it continues with other people, and the ones I say hello and goodbye to will do this to others.

Next step? Saying hello to the person that sits next to me on the shuttle.

No comments: